Fashion Models + Surviving My Life

When I Was Young ... I Had A Schwinn 10 Speed - Thankyouverymuch!

I am not getting any younger.

When I squat down to pick up something off the floor ... sometimes, I can't hardly stand back up.

When I wake in the morning ... I often have aches and pains in my back and legs.

When I read a book - I have to search out a pair of reading glasses and prop them at the end of my nose to see the writing.

Every so often ... one of my children will say something that makes me feel really old - like when Alexis asked me recently, "When you were a kid, did you ride one of those bicycles with the great big wheels on the front and the tiny ones on the back?"

Uh - No!

Every so often ... someone will make the mistake of believing that I am the grandmother to my youngest child (*hangs head and mutters a four letter word after slurping a spoonful of cream-of-wheat into her mouth*).

Every so often ... I will look in the mirror and squeeze my eyes tight together - squint and imagine I can honestly see the girl I used to be ... in the reflection. Then - when I open my eyes right again - there sits someone that looks a lot like my mother.

Alexis asked me not long ago, "Why is bird poop white?"

Why don't I know this answer?

How can I be as old as I am and not know this answer?

I'm not only old - but stupid about birds!

Then, she asked me, "Who invented goggles?"

Again - I. Don't. Know!

Should I know this answer?

I don't think so!

Then ... to make matters worse, she asks, when walking in on me in the bathroom, with hair color in my hair, "What color is it going to be this time?"

On the upside ... I'm definitely getting old. I'm definitely tired and achy. I absolutely never learned all there is to know about birds or inventors of swimwear, but ... I have perfected the art of coloring my own hair, in the bathroom, with a 6 year-old hanging around - and, let's just say ... these days - I am aiming at matching the color of my eyebrows - the only thing on my face remotely resembling anything from my youth.

Life, and more:

When I Was Young ... I Had A Schwinn 10 Speed - Thankyouverymuch! + Surviving My Life