Fashion Models + Surviving My Life

My Hair's Too Big

I wear my hair too big. I know this.

I'm just that kinda girl. I'm a: curl-it-up, fluff-it-out, pick-it-fancy, smooth-it-down and then spray-it-with-a-ton-of-hairspray, kinda girl. I wish I wasn't (believe me), but I am. I get it from my mom. I get it from her sisters. I inherited it - the practice and the hair. I just don't have that, get-up-and-go, pull-it-into-a-pony-tail, kinda hair.

Every time I do this, curl-fluff-pick-smooth-hairspray, ritual, I turn back at some point and look in the mirror. I ALWAYS say to myself, "Too BIG," and then I reach up and *smash* it down. It usually doesn't do a thing - it just bounces right back up.

And ... this hair, is often the topic of conversations. Sometimes it's funny and sometimes it's not.

Years ago, when I used to really water ski and we'd go with friends, it didn't take long for my hair to become the butt of a lot of jokes. I guess I caused this abuse, as I would go to the lake with my hair all poofed up (as usual) and my earrings and lipstick to match my swimsuit. And then I would put on my sunglasses (of course). I would lower myself into the water (never jump), wade a bit, get up on the skies, ski a bit, let go of the rope so as to gracefully come to a stop, sink into the water - without ever getting my hair wet or losing my sunglasses. I was proud of this ability. I bragged about it, "Yep ... I can go out there and ski and never get my hair wet, blah, blah, blah," I would foolishly announce. Soon enough ... the challenge for those left on the boat was ... to get my hair wet! They'd wait until I'd let go of the rope and was leisurely waiting for them to come back and pick me up and then they'd ... drive the boat in circles around me, two or three times - in order to create a tidal wave - and then *swoosh* - I'd be engulfed by a giant wave and emerge looking like a wet rat (with sunglasses and red lipstick).

I was never happy when my friends did this to me, but it made them laugh. They just loved messing up my BIG hair. I was always - very uncomfortable the rest of the day.

And then ... there were the camping trips. My friends never let me live down the fact that I kept the "do" going - even on camping trips; "Where you goin' - to fix your hair?" (Ha!)

I know it's not cool. I know it's not trendy. I know it's not hip. My kids are forever telling me how un-hip my hair is. I can't help it. I've tried other "do's", but I always end right back ... curling-fluffing-picking-smoothing and spraying it into a BIG rediculous do. I'm not crazy about it either.

On the upside ... as I have been told many times: if a hurricane or a tornado comes through - my hair will not move. The whole house might be gone, the cars might be wisked away, the trees could be pulled up out of the ground ... but I will still have my GREAT BIG "do" (and, of course, a can of hairspray in my purse).

Life, and more:

My Hair's Too Big + Surviving My Life