Fashion Models + My Precious Twins

Happy Birthday To My Sweet Girls

When I was pregnant with my twins, it was not until a sonogram at 5 months that we found out we were going to have twins.

During my entire pregnancy, we were unaware that our girls were, in fact, girls and that they were identical twins.

It was not until the moment of their birth (4 weeks early by C-section) that we were told that we had twin daughters. It was also at that moment that we became aware of how truly special and how truly lucky our girls were.

We would come to learn that our twins were not only identical twins, but the rarest type of identical twins - monoamniotic twins (those twins that share the same amniotic sac and same placenta). The mortality rate is very high for one or both twins when twins are monoamniotic.

We were not aware, during the pregnancy, that our twins were monoamniotic and this was probably a blessing, as they are not only considered very high-risk, but I believe I would have worried myself sick.

Upon their delivery, my doctor found that the girls had tied their unbilical cords in a perfect knot (not uncommon for monoamniotics) and he held the knot up in the air and said, "When these girls get to be 18, you need to take them to Vegas ... because these are lucky girls." After further inspection, my doctor noted that one of the umbilical cords had pulled away from the placenta and was hanging on by only a few blood vessels. If my doctor had not decided to go ahead and "take" the babies that afternoon of April 8, 1992 - we'd have likely lost one and possibly both of our precious twins.

These are my twins when they were five years old. They are telling a secret (who knows what). I love these pictures. I was lucky to catch this moment.

They are much the same now - my precious girls. They are very close and treasure their twinship. I have tried to impress upon them how special this unique relationship is. It is a bond - a kinship - a relationship - a love ... that few people will ever know. Such ... that only twins know. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have that? To have someone that is truly yours. Someone God meant you always to be with, to be near? Someone that will always put you first? Someone that knows your thoughts and desires? Someone that believes in you and laughs at everything you say? Someone that loves you completely and unconditionally?

That is the special bond my girls have. From birth until the day they die - they will always have each other - in a way that only they can appreciate. I have often told them, "This is something that is unique to only a few. It is a gift. Take this gift and cherish it. Never take this gift for granted."

They've gotten to where they call each other "Twin". People get a kick out of this (their teachers and friends), as they think that some twins would rather distract from or dismiss this obvious connection. But ... not my twins. They enjoy it. They are proud of each other.

I like to think that the secret they are telling each other in these photos is, "You are my best friend .... I am lucky to have you and .... I will love you forever."

They are no longer little girls - my twins.

They are young women with strong minds and huge potential.

They are beautiful and smart and kind.

They are loving and filled with laughter and life.

They are a joy to have around.

They are going to fly soon - my girls.

It won't be long ... the time is coming.

My twin daughters are on the rim of our nest.

They haven't jumped off yet - but they are certainly spreading their wings.

They are beginning to feel the breeze.

It won't be long before they take that leap.

And these are not humming birds in my nest ...

No ...

These are majestic eagles.

The day they do fly ...

They will not flutter away ...

They will not go out of here quietly ...

When my eagles fly ...

They will soar!

My greatest fear is not the leap or the possible fall. It is not the technique or the ability. I truly believe I am preparing them for the flight. For the journey into their life. My greatest fear is that ...

they will never come back.

Today is their Birthday.

Today they turn 16 years old.

They are my pride and joy and I love them very much!

Happy Birthday Courtney and Chloe!

Happy 16th Birthday!

Life, and more:

Happy Birthday To My Sweet Girls + My Precious Twins