Fashion Models + LIFE

K-E-L-L-A-N

People have a hard time pronouncing my name.

Throughout my life I have been called - CAROLYN, ELLEN, HELEN, KAREN - you name it. Unless it is important - I usually just answer to anything.

This is just because I have been so used to being called by many different names by teachers, parents of friends and strangers that just had never heard the name KELLAN.

It is still not a very common name. I hear it every once in a while, but almost always it is a name given to a boy. There is a football player (San Diego Chargers) whose name is Kellen Winslow and I hear his name announced every now and then on TV on a Sunday afternoon. There was a cute boy on one of those reality TV shows (maybe The Hills) whose name is Kellan. I've run across two blogs over the past year where a boy child has the name Kellan.

I don't like being called by the wrong name, but if I don't know you and won't likely ever see you again - it just doesn't matter. If you are someone I see every time I attend the PTA Board meeting and I sit on the board with you - then I want you to call me by my correct name.

YES - there is a woman on the PTA Board not calling me by my right name and I made the mistake of not correcting her - oh ... about 2 months ago - and now it is just awkward to correct her, and so I just let her call me Kee-lan. I just keep hoping she will notice that everyone else calls me Kel-lan and she will figure it out on her own. Hasn't happened yet.

For those of you that have wondered how I pronounce my name - it is KEL-LAN (sounds just like Helen, but with a K) - not KEE-LAN. I was named after a friend my mother had in school - her name was Mary Kellan. My name is Kellan Renee. I have a cousin that named her daughter (my second cousin) Mary Kellan. I wish I'd thought of it before she did - I'd have loved to have named one of my daughters Mary Kellan.

I know - some of you were wondering, and probably have even been saying it wrong in your head all this time - that's okay. I am doing that with a few bloggers that I have known for a while but am not quite sure how to pronounce their names.

So tell me - have you been saying it right or wrong?

(For those of you that don't care a thing about all this K-E-L-L-A-N clarification - sorry. Maybe you can come back tomorrow and hopefully I'll have something more interesting to post.)

Hi - I'm KELLAN - nice to meet you.

-

Kellan, and more:

K-E-L-L-A-N + LIFE