Fashion Models + Surviving Motherhood

Look Ma - No Hands!

When Courtney and Chloe were really little - about 3 years old or so - we were in the van driving to the beach. They were strapped into their car seats in the back. At some point, I heard one turn to the other and say, "This hand doesn't do anything. This hand has to do everything," talking about how her right hand did most of the work.

It is so true - isn't it?

Yet ... the longer I have been a mom, the more I realize that these children aren't using either of their hands for very much at all!

Nope ... everyone is content to use MY HANDS!!!!

Mine are the hands that:


  • Have wiped many a butt, nose, face and hands.

  • Have brushed lots and lots of teeth and hair.

  • Wiped up many a mess.

  • Carry everything that goes upstairs - UP, and everything that goes downstairs - DOWN!

  • That replace any and all empty toilet paper rolls, paper towel rolls, trash bags and soap bars.

  • That pick up any and all toys, clothes, shoes, books, towels ... CRAP - that is on the floor of their rooms.

  • That find and take forgotten items from home to school!

  • That deliver and clear plates to and from the dinner table.

  • That cleans the spit and smears and toothpaste from the mirrors in their rooms and bathrooms.
  • That make the beds they sleep in.

  • That washes the clothing they wear and dishes they eat from.

  • That erases the mistakes on their homework pages.

We were in the car recently.

My son says, "Hey, Mom - take this," from the back seat.

It is dark in the car and so I just reach my hand back to help him out.

He puts something in my hand.

I pull my hand forward.

I turn on the overhead light above my seat.

I look in my hand.

I see ...

A big GLOB of lime green, slimy, slobbery, sticky - BUBBLE GUM!

It's smack in the middle of my hand - STICKING AND MELTING!

I look back at my son and ... he laughs.

Before I had kids ...

Oh ... never mind.


On the upside ... Raise your hand if this has ever happened to you!

Give yourself a hand if you are also the one in your family that is working your fingers to nubs, trying to keep your family's lives going.

And now ...

Pass me a tissue please - SO I CAN GET THIS GLOB OF LIME GREEN BUBBLE GUM OUT OF MY HAND AND THROW IT. INTO. THE. TRASH!

Life, and more:

Look Ma - No Hands! + Surviving Motherhood