Fashion Models + Surviving Motherhood

Either Speed Up ... Or Shuffle On Out Of My Way

I am a fast talker.

I use lots of hand gestures when I talk.

I don't do anything slowely.

Most of all ... I walk really fast - everywhere.

I sit down - and then I stand up quickly, run and do something and then run and do something else. I am a multi-tasker and I have perfected this art.

So ... imagine me - this very busy mother - running up and down the hallway by our bedrooms. In one room and out of the other. In and out of the bathroom, grabbing towels and brushes. Putting away clothes. Wiping off counters. Picking up toys.

And then ... imagine Alexis.

She has just gotten out of the bathtub.

She has a towel wrapped tightly around her chubby body - from her neck all the way down to her slippery little toes.

She is coming from my bathroom.

She yells loudly, "Mom ----- do you know how long baby steps take?" *baby step ...... baby step ........ baby step ........ baby step ....... baby step ............*

Now ... imagine me .... stopping all of my running around long enough to view this phenominon from the end of the hallway ..... *baby step .......... baby step ............ baby step ............. baby step .........*

Let me just say ..... It takes a long time!

She was still there in the hallway 5 minutes later - making her way to her bedroom - leaving tiny baby-step-wet-footprints on the wood floor.

And me - I had baked a casserole, given both dogs a bath, defrosted the freezer, stripped and waxed the kitchen floor....

Okay - not really - we have saltillo tile - it doesn't require waxing (tee hee).

The point is ... this story ... pretty much sums up my whole life.

Just imagine ... my husband, my 15 year old twin daughters, my 10 year old son and then, of course, sweet little Alexis ... all shuffling around my house .... taking ...... baby steps ........ baby steps ......... baby steps ........... baby steps ...........

On the upside ... I'm not sure who looks more ridiculous - me, moving at the speed of light - or the rest of them - shuffling along in perpetual slow motion. We are like a carnival side-show --- "Step right up ... here you will see CRAZY MOM-WOMAN zooming around at rocket speed ...doing all the work, while ... her smarter, slower-moving family shuffles along ... just stirring up dust - it is a pathetic sight to behold!"

Life, and more:

Either Speed Up ... Or Shuffle On Out Of My Way + Surviving Motherhood