Fashion Models + Surviving My Life

Lizard Mom

Sometimes when I walk past a mirror and catch a glimpse of myself, I say, "Man ... I'm lookin' old," or "I look really bad today." This happens more often than I'd like, as you can imagine.

Not long ago, the Princess had just gotten out of the bathtub and came to show me her wrinkled hands from being in the water for so long. I held her hands in mine and said, "You look like a lizard," and she said, "No." I said, "Then a snake." She said, "No." I said, "So, then what? What has skin like that?" She said, "It's not an animal at all. It's a grandma." I said, "That's right, they're wrinkled like an old person's hands."

Then I began to brush her hair. She had her face away from me and she said, "I love my face, because it's soft," she was rubbing her wrinkled hands on her soft face. She made me touch her soft face. I agreed - it was soft. I asked her to touch mine to see if it was also soft and she said, "Rough." I asked her to feel it again to be sure and she said, "No - rough."

And she was right - tough, rough, wrinkled - just like I see in the mirror. That's me - the lizard mom - I know all this.

On the upside ... maybe soon I'll start changing colors like those gecko's do in my back yard and then I'll just blend right in - that'd be a fun little trick to show all the neighborhood kids - "Did you see their mom? She looks kind of like a lizard and she even changes colors - at one point she was completely green - all wrinkled and green."

Life, and more:

Lizard Mom + Surviving My Life