Fashion Models + Life

And I Thought We Were A Freak Show

Is it just me ... or do those Duggers have (too many) A LOT of kids?

To date ,they have 17 children, (10 boys and 7 girls) Joshua, Jana & John-David (twins), Jill, Jessa, Jinger, Joseph, Josiah, Joy-Anna, Jedidiah & Jeremiah (twins), Jason, James, Justin, Jackson, Johannah & Jennifer.

Don't you imagine they must sometimes say, "What. Were. We. Thinking?" Surly they do.

I was watching them a couple of nights ago on TV and there they were - all 19 of them - heading out on a cross country trip in a newly purchased RV. Yep - a road trip with 17 kids!

When I watch them on TV, I catch myself counting all those kids (3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ...), like I really don't believe there are really 17 of them.

They really could only be labeled as a "freak show" (in my opinion), if there was this beer drinkin', tobacco chewin', harmonica playin' dad, with his head always under the hood of a truck, barefoot and stringy haired children that each had unique talents (like the yo yo, hula hoop or bird calls), gerbils or ferrets living in cages in the corner of the kitchen, as many cats in the house as there are children and a mother that obviously seldom bathes, has a tramp stamp tattooed on her lower back and slurs all her words in a twangy dialect. No ... they don't quite meet my criteria of "freak show" - but they certainly are a crazy phenomenon.

I don't really get it. I have four kids and always tell people, "Four kids is way more kids than anyone needs - two is plenty." How does that woman do all of it with 17 kids?

On the show the other night they were all lined up next to the RV (like soda bottles) - all wearing matching outfits.

How does she get all those kids to cooperate long enough to pose for any picture and how does she convince them to wear matching outfits? How does she keep that smile on her face? How?

I have to believe that there has got to be some screamin' goin' on in that house, but from the way they are depicted on TV - you'd never know. She's got kids doing chores without complaint - helping with the little ones without complaint - helping cook and doing laundry without complaint ... and there are kids going in every direction, doing who knows what and all the while there she is with her soft spoken voice, easy-going manner - just a smilin'! It's bizarre.

If you've never seen this show about the Dugger family, you need to watch it sometime. Just about the time you feel you have your hands full - you'll be introduced to a woman that has 17 kids, wearin' clean matching outfits, all cooperating with one another and her in the kitchen cooking beef stew and biscuits for 19! Just about the time you think you've got it all under control - Mrs. Dugger will show you ... in just one episode ... the true failure that you really are.

On the upside ... I'm glad I don't know her personally. It would be really shameful if she lived right next door (me always out in the yard screaming at my kids, "Will you get in here before I come out there and k*** you.").

And Another Thing, and more:

And I Thought We Were A Freak Show + Life