Fashion Models + My Boy Child

Next Time ... Jot It Down On Your Hand

Little Billy came in from school and dropped his backpack by the front door. On his way to the kitchen I asked, "How was school today, Little Billy?"

He opened the door to the refrigerator, stood in front of it and said, "Horrible."

I said, "Why?"

Then he said, "No - not really. It was great! It was exhilarating," and then he peeked his head into the refrigerator.

I looked over and could only see his back, as his body was behind the door and I said, "It was?" and laughed. "Do you know what exhilarating means?"

He peeked out from behind the refrigerator door, looked over at me, cracked a little smile and said, "Not really."

He grabbed the jug of milk and closed the refrigerator door and then said, "I used a big word on the bus today," he plunked the milk jug up on the counter. "So-and-so always feels the need to protect me - you know - because I'm small and all - he was saying something about how my parents wouldn't let me go to see SAW IV (which they WILL NOT, by the way!) because I'm too little and I said to him, 'Just because I'm little, doesn't mean I'm _______ (fill in blank with big word he supposedly used - but now can not remember - he thinks it might start with a P and means - 'not as small and useless as you think I am').

I laughed and said, "What was the word - pathetic?"

"No," he said.

"Was it puny?"

"No," he said.

He never remembered the big word that he used, but was proud nonetheless.

Walking out of the kitchen I turned back and said, "When you remember the word - let me know."

"Why?" he took a big swig of milk and looked across the room in my direction.

"So I'll know the word and maybe so I can use it sometime," I started walking up the stairs, "I can use it sometime, right?"

He smiled and said, "Sure," like this was very cool that I would want to use one of his words.

On the upside ... It helps if you HAVE a word - to actually USE a word. But ... in our family - we give credit for just having ever used a word at all! No need to recall it ever again. I'm very proud of him. I'm certain it was an impressive word.

Life, and more:

Next Time ... Jot It Down On Your Hand + My Boy Child