Fashion Models + My Children

My Girls

Hosted by Cecily and Mama Geek

I took my girls to get their hair cut.

We walked into the hair salon and seated ourselves on the couch in the waiting room. I picked up a magazine and began to flip through the pages. Before too long, our hair stylist stepped out from her room and greeted us with a friendly smile. I placed the magazine on my lap.

Time slowed a bit in that strange moment. I glanced at the stylist and then my eyes moved down the sofa at my girls. They sat beside me, in a row - the two oldest of my children and beyond their figures, my baby.

"These are my girls," I gestured towards them, and then strangely ... I heard my own words.

My heart suddenly fluttered. Can you see how proud I am of them? Can you see the love I have for them - floating around them like white silk ribbons brushing their faces, touching their bodies and lacing us all together. Can you feel my happiness? Aren't they beautiful?

I was acutely aware of their faces and their bodies. Of their hair and eyes and hands. I looked at them, in this one strange moment, like I had not seen them before and likely will ever see them again. It was a sliver of time where their presence - next to me - was overwhelming. They were ... my daughters.

When did I become a mother?

Who would think I would make a good mother to these precious girls?

How can I suddenly feel so powerful and important and yet ... in their presence, at the exact same moment, feel very small.

They surround me constantly - my children. They are part of me and with me, and yet ... I seldom stop to comprehend the force they stir in my life. The blissful shift created by their existence. The power of the bond and the pride of the endevor.

I was quickly pulled back into the moment - away from my daydream - my awakening. I do not believe it was evident to anyone other than me - this moment of awareness. These seconds where ... it was clear and palpable that ... they are mine and I am theirs.

-

LIFE, and more:

My Girls + My Children