Fashion Models + Special Days

Close To The Ground

I pulled my car into the crowded parking lot and found a spot near the front door of the theatre. I turned off the engine, but left the radio on to keep me company. I listened to the music and I waited.

The sun was setting and the sky was quickly turning dark. I watched as a flock of birds flew by and landed in the trees in a nearby neighborhood. I suppose they were seeking shelter for the night; there were hundreds. I would glance over at the entrance to the theatre, every so often, and then I would turn back to watch the birds once again.

After a short while, all the birds had gathered in the trees and settled in. Suddenly, I noticed a lone bird as he flew near my car and then he glided his way down the parking lot - out to the area where there were no cars. He did not soar into the sky, but remained low and flew very close to the ground. He would land on a tree branch and then he would swoop down and fly again - as fast as he could - as low as he could. He did this over and over again. It was as if he was playing. Not searching for food or fleeing from some threat; it was as if he had found a moment to enjoy himself and so he simply broke away from the flock, spread his wings and ... flew.

Before too long, I took my eye from the lone bird and glanced over towards the theatre entrance. The movie had let out and across the parking lot I could see my children walking towards me. All walking ... except my smallest child. There she was - my youngest - running out in front of the pack, swerving back and forth down the asphalt aisle between the parked cars, her arms above her head and flapping in the wind - a radiant smile on her face. She did not realize I was watching her - none of my children did - but ... her happiness was not lost on me. And, it was not just the smile on her face that gave indication of her joy, but by the way she used all of her energy to ... connect herself to the world.

My youngest, like the lone bird, did not have to search for a moment of happiness - she merely recognized when she was in the moment and embraced it with all of her might.

It is the one thing I fail at the most often - embracing moments - and allowing myself to be overwhelmed by sudden emotion or experience. It is not a talent to be learned or a skill to hone, but a privilege bestowed on all of us that really only children and beasts embrace easily.

Life is a gift. Living life is often a challenge.

I wish I had enough sense to embrace each moment of my life with the enthusiasm of a child. I wish I realized that it does not take soaring to the highest cloud to see and experience ecstasy.

This is not an easy time of year for some people - the holidays. To those that are having a difficult time this Thanksgiving because they are apart from and missing their loved ones, I say to you - try to take your eyes off of the sky and away from the horizon in search of lost or missing or past memories. Try to allow the moments - life - to envelop you. Try to find happiness in the people you are left with or the things that bring you joy.

To my brother-in-law, Danny - I am sorry this will be the first holiday that you will spend without both of your parents. I know it is the sort of transition that must be difficult to embrace and yet I know you must realize that we are your family now and we love you and care about you. We never want you to forget your special parents and you should

never let go of all the memories, but ... we are here to help you move forward and help you make more memories. We are here to help you live your life.

To my family - I love you. I miss those that are absent or gone. I embrace those that are new, like Brazelton, and those that have come back, like Cody. I am thankful you are all - my family. On this day of Thanksgiving - I am thankful for my family and friends. I am thankful for all the blessings that God has bestowed on all of us. I am thankful for my children's lives and the happiness they have brought into mine. I am thankful for a husband that God chose to be my mate and whom I love very much.

And ... I am thankful for ALL the moments - those I have embraced and especially those I have ignored - because it is in those discarded moments that so much of my life has been lived, but ... I have not always been wise enough or strong enough to spread my wings and simply ... embrace life and enjoy it. I have too often had my eyes on the clouds and on the horizon in search of the majestic or magical and not seen the beauty before me ... around me - in me. Life is a gift. I give thanks for ... my life!

LIFE, and more:

Close To The Ground + Special Days